John E. Sherwood
John E. Sherwood Emeritus Professor, PhD from Michigan State University.
The long-term goal of my research is to develop an understanding of the molecular genetic basis of plant-fungal pathogen interactions in order to develop novel strategies for controlling fungal pathogens. We are currently investigating mating of Ustilago hordei, the cause of barley covered smut, which results in the conversion in this fungus from a non-pathogenic to a pathogenic form. Using genetics, biochemistry and molecular biology, we are defining [hope to define] the molecular determinants involved in pathogenicity of U. hordei. A second research area involves the molecular transfer of anti-fungal proteins found in the wheat endosperm to other plants, in order to limit plant diseases
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
Fungal diseases of cereals, molecular genetics of fungal pathogens. Teach graduate class on Genetics of Fungal-Plant Interactions. Advise graduate and undergraduate students.
- B.A. Zoology University of Vermont 1973
- M.S Microbiology Colorado State University 1979
- Ph.D Microbiology Michigan State University 1984
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- American Phytopathological Society
- American Society for Microbiology
- International Society for Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
RECENT PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Associate Editor, Phytopathology
- Research Area Committee on Epidemiology and Disease Management, U.S. Wheat and Barley Scab Initiative.
- Review manuscripts for Phytopathology, International Journal of Plant Pathology, Current
- Microbiology, European Journal of Plant pathology, Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, International Journal of Plant Pathology, “Plant-Microbe Interactions, Volume 6” and others.
- Review proposals for USDA/NRI proposals, MAES, MSU Undergraduate Scholars Program.
Recent University Committees
- Planning, Budgeting and Analysis Committee (UPBAC), 01-02.
- Faculty Council; Chair, 01-02, Chair-elect, 00-01
- MSU Athletic Director Search Committee, 01
- MSU NCAA Certification Steering Committee and Academic Subcommittee, 02
- Faculty and University Governance Council representative for PSPP Department, 97-02.
- University Governance Council Steering Committee, 98-02.
- Retention and Recruitment Task Force, 00-01
- Committee for Faculty Professional Development Opportunities, Co-Chair, 02
- MSU Ombudsman Search Committee, 02
- Provost Search Committee, 01
College of Agriculture Committees
- Biotechnology Curriculum Coordinating Committee, 96-present
- PSPP Department Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 99-present
- PSPP Department Executive Committee, 01-present
- Fungal Plant Pathologist Search Committee, 01-02
- BIOB 375 - General Genetics
- PS 429C - Plant Biotechnology Capstone course, 2000-present.
- CLS101V - Freshman seminar, 2000, 2002
- PLP542: Genetics of Host-Parasite Interactions; 1989, 91; Alt. years 94-98, 01.
- PLP 543: Genetics of Host-Parasite Interactions Laboratory; 1998, 2001.
- PLP 502: Techniques in Plant Pathology; Alt. years, 1993-1997.
PUBLICATIONS FROM 1998 TO PRESENT
Sherwood, J.E., P.J. Kosted, C.M. Anderson and S.A. Gerhardt. 1998. Production of a mating inhibitor by Ustilago hordei. Phytopathology 88:456-464.
Willits, D.A. and J.E. Sherwood. 1999. Polymerase chain reaction detection of Ustilago hordei in leaves of susceptible and resistant barley varieties. Phytopathology 89:212-217.
Zriba, N., J.E. Sherwood, and D.E. Mathre. 1999. Characterization and effectiveness of Phialophora spp. isolated from a Montana take-all suppressive soil in controlling take-all of wheat. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 21:110-118.
Anderson, C.M., D.A. Willits, P.J. Kosted, E. Ford, A.D. Martinez-Espinoza and J.E. Sherwood. 1999. Molecular analysis of the pheromone and pheromone receptor genes of Ustilago hordei. Gene 240:89-97.
Lee, N., G. Bakkeren, K. Wong, J.E. Sherwood and J.W. Kronstad. 1999. The mating-type and pathogenicity locus of the fungus Ustilago hordei spans a 500 kb region. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 96:15026-15031.
Kosted, P.J., S.A. Gerhardt, C.M. Anderson, A. Stierle and J.E. Sherwood. 2000. Structural requirements for activity of the mating pheromones of Ustilago hordei. Fungal Genet. Biol. 29:107-117.
Krishnamurthy, K., C,. Balconi, J.E. Sherwood and M. Giroux. 2001. Increased tolerance to fungal diseases of rice plants transformed with puroindoline genes. Molec. Plant-Microbe Interact. 14:1255-1260.
Kosted, P.J., S.A. Gerhardt and J.E. Sherwood. 2002. Pheromone-related inhibitors of Ustilago hordei mating and Tilletia tritici teliospore germination. Phytopathology 92:210-216.
Bargabus, R.L., N.K. Zidack, J.E. Sherwood and B.J. Jacobsen. 2002. Characterization of systemic resistance in sugar beet elicited by a non-pathogenic, phyllosphere-colonizing Bacillus mycoides, a biological control agent. Submitted to Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology.
Anderson, C., P. Kosted and J.E. Sherwood. 1998. Differences in pheromone diffusion rates, response time and cellular sensitivity play a significant role in the asymmetric mating response of Ustilago hordei. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. Las Vegas, NV. Nov. 8-12.
Kosted, P.J., S.A. Gerhardt and J.E. Sherwood. 1998. Pheromone-related agonists and antagonists to mating of Ustilago hordei. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. Las Vegas, NV. Nov. 8-12.
Kosted, P.J., S.A. Gerhardt and J.E. Sherwood. 1998. Inhibition of Tilletia spp. teliospore germination by Ustilago hordei pheromone analogs. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. Las Vegas, NV. Nov. 8-12.
Harwood, J., P. Kosted, S. Gerhardt and J. Sherwood. 1998. Biological control of smut and bunt plant diseases using Erwinia herbicola mutants that overproduce methionine or cysteine. National Minority research Symposium. New York, N.Y. Nov. 21-24.
Gerhardt, S.A., P.J. Kosted and J.E. Sherwood. 1999. Reduction of smut and bunt diseases by seed treatment with Ustilago hordei. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. Montreal, Canada. Aug. 7-11
Kosted, P.J., S.A. Gerhardt and J.E. Sherwood. 1999. The life cycle of Tilletia spp. is inhibited by fungal pheromone-related compounds and extracts of their mycelia. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. Montreal, Canada. Aug. 7-11.
Kosted, P. and J.E. Sherwood. 2000. Mechanisms of inhibition of mating by fungal pheromone analogs. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. New Orleans, Aug. 12-16.
Krishnamurthy, K., M. Giroux and J.E. Sherwood. 2000. Increased tolerance to fungal diseases of rice plants transformed with puroindoline genes. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. New Orleans, Aug. 12-16.
Bargabus, R.L., N.K. Zidack, B.J. Jacobsen and J.E. Sherwood. 2001. Characterization of systemic resistance elicited by a non-pathogenic phyllosphere-inhabiting fungus. 10th International Congress of Molecular Plant Microbe Interactions. Madison, WI. July 10-14.
Balconi, C. and J.E. Sherwood. 2001. In vitro anti-fungal activity of the wheat puroindoline proteins. Annual meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. Salt Lake City, Aug. 25-29.
Kosted, P. and J.E. Sherwood. 2001. Pheromone-derived peptides from Ustilago hordei competitively inhibit the native activity of the enzyme farnesyltransferase. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society, Salt lake City, Aug. 12-16.
Bargabus, R.L., N.K. Zidack, B.J. Jacobsen and J.E. Sherwood. 2001. Elicitation of ISR by a non-pathogenic phyllosphere-inhabiting bacterium. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society. Salt Lake City, Aug. 25-29.
Bargabus, R.L., N.K. Zidack, J.E. Sherwood and B.J. Jacobsen. 2002. Host-response based screening of biological control agents. American Phytopathological Society Annual Meeting. Milwaukee, WI. July 27-31.
Gerhardt, S.A., C. Balconi and J.E. Sherwood. 2002. Control of Fusarium Scab with Puroindoline-Containing Transgenic Wheat. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society, Milwaukee, July 27-31.
Kosted, P.J. and J.E. Sherwood. 2002. Mechanistic studies of pheromone analog mating and germination inhibitors from Ustilago hordei. Annual Meeting of the American Phytopathological Society, Milwaukee, July 27-31.
Giroux, M., J. Sherwood and B. Beecher. 2002. Puroindolines confer grain texture changes and anti-fungal properties in transgenic cereals. American Association of Cereal Chemists. Montreal, Oct 13-17.
- Mating and mating inhibition in Ustilago hordei, cause of barley covered smut and inhibition of teliospore germination of Tilletia sp.
- Control of fungal diseases in puroindoline-expressing transgenic wheat and barley
- Biochemical basis for systemic resistance by sugar beet in response to bacterial biocontrol agent
- Genetics of fungal-plant interactions with lab (spring 2003)
- Plant Biotechnology Capstone course (every spring)
- Freshman seminar, fall 2002
- Advise all Biotechnology majors (25-30 at a time) for first two years
- Faculty Council representative from PSPP Dept.
- Faculty Council Steering Committee (immediate past chair of Faculty Council)
- University Faculty Development Opportunities Committee, Co-Chair
- MSU NCAA Certification Steering Committee and Academic Sub-Committee
- Associate Editor for Phytopathology
- PSPP Dept. Executive Committee
- PSPP Dept. Undergraduate Committee Curriculum Committee