Dave C. Sands
Dave C. Sands, Professor,PhD. from University of California-Berkeley.
Office: 204 Plant BioScience Building
Lab: 131 Plant BioScience Building
My interests include plant bacteriology, biological control of weeds, and biotechnology. Ongoing work includes the ecology, detection, characterization, and control of Pseudomonas syringae and Xanthomonas campestris. As an alternative to chemical herbicides, plant pathogenic fungi and bacteria are being developed as biological herbicides to control weeds. The tools of biotechnology are being used to improve the nutritional value of human and animal foods. For example, lysine-excreting Lactobacillus fermentum can be substituted for soybean meal in some animal diets.
- Bacteriology and plant diseases
- Biological control
- Nutritional value of plant products
- Biotechnology and economic development
- Game theory and disease
- Tennnis, teaching, travel, art, music, poetry
- BIOB 205 - Methods in Biotechnology
- BIOB 105 - Intro to Biotechnology
- Biological control of weeds
- Biological control of fungus diseases of plants