Mary Burrows, Assistant Professor, Ph.D from University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2003
Extension Plant Pathology Specialist
I am responsible for applied research to address plant disease problems faced by the growers of Montana. Some current projects include integrated management of wheat foliar and head diseases, epidemiology of wheat viruses in the Great Plains region, and the use of conventional and biological seed treatments for damping off in chickpea.
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
My primary responsibility is to Extension. I educate growers, extension agents, crop advisors and industry personnel about plant disease management in Montana. I serve as a communication link between the university and the agricultural community. I supervise the Schutter Plant Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, the MSU Urban IPM Program, the MSU School IPM Program, and represent Montana in the IR-4 Project for registration of pesticides on minor crops.
- B.A. Biology, Minnesota State University Moorhead, 1999
- PhD Plant Pathology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2003
MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- State liason representative, IR-4 Project
- Member of the American Phytopathological Society Extension, Diagnostics, Seed Pathology and Virology Committees
- Gamma Sigma Delta honor society for agriculture
PUBLICATIONS FROM 1998 TO PRESENT
- Leisso, R., B. Jacobsen and M. Burrows. 2011. Pathogenicity of Fusarium spp. to chickpea seed and seedlings (Cicer arietinum L.). Can. J. Plant Pathol. (accepted)
- Burrows, M., S. Palmer, L. Mi-Mi, S. Bogdanowicz, S. Gray, M. Caillaud. 2011. Microsatellite DNA markers for the greenbug Schizaphis graminum. Molecular Ecology Res. (accepted).
- Skoglund, L., R. Harveson, W. Chen, F. Dugan, H. Schwartz, S. Markell, L. Porter, M. Burrows, R. Goswami. 2010. Ascochyta blight of peas. Online. Plant Health Progress. doi:10.1094/PHP-2011-0330-01-RS.
- Harveson, R., S. Markell, R. Goswami, C. Urrea, M. Burrows, F. Dugan, W. Chen, and L. Skoglund. 2010. Ascochyta blight of chickpea. Plant Health Progress. Online. doi:10.1094/PHP-2011-0103-01-DG.
- Burrows, M., M. Moffet, P. Bruckner, J. Berg, M. Johnston. Evaluation of fungicides for control of stem rust in Montana, 2009. Plant Disease Management Reports 4: CF037.
- Burrows, M., Franc, G., Rush, C., Blunt, T., Ito, D., Kinzer, K., Olson, J., O'Mara, J., Price, J., Tande, C., Ziems, A., Stack, J. 2009. Occurrence of viruses in wheat in the Great Plains region, 2008. Online. Plant Health Progress. doi:10.1094/PHP-2009-0706-01-RS. This manuscript was also an APSnet feature article, September. www.apsnet.org.
- Jacobsen, B., M. Burrows, and K. Ong. 2008. Extension plant pathology: bringing our science to the public. APSnet feature article, December. www.apsnet.org
- Leisso, R., P. Miller, and M. Burrows. June, 2008. Integrated management of chickpea pre-emergence damping off. Can. J. Plant Pathol. In press.
- Leisso, R., B. Jacobsen and M. Burrows. June, 2008. Fusarium spp. causing pre-emergence damping off of kabuli chickpeas: Pathogenicity of isolates in relation to soil moisture and propagule concentration. Can J. Plant Pathol. In preparation.
- M. Burrows , A. Dyer, R. Johnston, W. Grey. 2008. Evaluation of fungicide application timing for control of stripe rust on winter wheat in Montana, 2007. Plant Disease Management Reports. 2:CF028.
- M.E. Burrows. 2008. Using local farmer’s markets to promote Extension programming. Journal of Extension. 46:IAW1.
- X. Yang, T. Thannhauser, M.E. Burrows, D. Cox-Foster, F. Gildow, and S. Gray. 2008. Coupling genetics and proteomics to identify aphid proteins associated with vector-specific transmission of Polerovirus (Luteoviridae). Journal of Virology. 82:291-299.
- M.E. Burrows, M.C. Caillaud, D.M. Smith, and S.M. Gray. 2007. The transmission of Barley yellow dwarf luteovirus-SGV and Cereal yellow dwarf luteovirus-RPV is genetically controlled in the aphid Schizaphis graminum. Heredity 98: 106-113
- S.M. Gray, M.C. Caillaud, M.E. Burrows, and D.M. Smith. 2007. Transmission of viruses that cause barley yellow dwarf is controlled by different loci in the aphid, Schizaphis graminum. Journal of Insect Science 7:25.
- M.E. Burrows, M.C. Caillaud, D.M. Smith, E.C. Benson, F.E. Gildow, and S.M. Gray. 2006. The genetic regulation of polerovirus and luteovirus transmission in the aphid Schizaphis graminum. Phytopathology 96: 828-837.
- M.E. Lee Burrows, C.M. Boerboom, J.M. Gaska, and C.R. Grau. 2005. The relationship between Aphis glycines and Soybean mosaic virus incidence in different pest management systems. Plant Dis. 89: 926-934.
- M.E. Lee, C.R. Grau, L.A. Lukaesko, I.-M. Lee. 2002. Identification of aster yellows phytoplasmas in soybean in Wisconsin based on RFLP analysis of PCR-amplified products (16S rDNAs). Can. J. Plant Pathol. 24:125-130.
- C.R. Grau, I.-M. Lee, M.E. Lee, M.F. Heimann and L.A. Lukaesko. 1999. Status of Phytoplasma in North American Soybean. Soybean Disease Compendium. APS Press: St. Paul, MN.
- R.D. Peters, M.E. Lee, C.R. Grau, S.J. Driscoll, R.M. Winberg, N.C. Kurtzweil, L.A. Lukaesko, I.–M. Lee. 1999. First report of aster yellows phytoplasma in alfalfa. Plant Disease 83:488.
- Chastain, C.J., M.E. Lee, M.A. Moorman, P. Shameekumar, R. Chollet. 1997. Site-directed mutagenesis of maize recombinant C4-pyruvate, orthophosphate dikinase at the phosphorylatable target threonine residue. FEBS Letters 413:169-173.
- Fact sheets on the High Plains IPM Guide (http://wiki.bugwood.org/HPIPM) (Wheat streak mosaic virus, Fusarium head scab, Fusarium crown rot, Stripe rust, freezing damage, hail damage, dwarf bunt, Downy mildew in camelina, etc.)
- M. Burrows, A. Dyer, W. Grey. 2010. Small grain root and crown diseases. MSU Extension Publications MontGuide MT2010007AG.
- M. Burrows, F. Menalled, D. Weaver. 2010. Common wheat pests in Montana, 2011 Calendar.
- M. Burrows, F. Menalled, D. Weaver. 2009. Common wheat pests in Montana, 2010 Calendar.
- K. McVay, M. Burrows, F. Menalled, K. Wanner. 2010. Montana wheat production guide. MSU Extension Publications EB0197.
- M. Burrows, D. Ito, W. Grey. 2009. Cereal viruses of importance in Montana. MSU Extension Publications MontGuide MT200911AG.
- M. Burrows, J. Olmstead, and W. Grey. 2009. Fungal, bacterial, and physiological leaf diseases of cereal crops (wheat, durum, barley). MSU Extension Publications MontGuide MT200913AG.
- W. Johnson, R. Johnston, W. Grey, M. Burrows and A. Dyer. 2008. Root lesion nematodes in wheat. MSU Extension Publications MontGuide MT200801AG.
- M. Burrows, A. Dyer, W. Grey. 2008. Fusarium head blight (scab) of wheat and barley. MSU Extension Publications MontGuide MT200806AG.
- N. Zidack, C. Moore-Gough, M. Burrows. 2008. Important Apple Diseases in Montana and Recommended Varieties for Resistance. MSU Extension Publications MontGuide MT200812AG.
- K. McVay, M. Burrows, C. Jones, K. Wanner, F. Menalled. 2008. Montana barley production guide. MSU Extension Publications EB0186.
- A. Dyer, M. Burrows, B. Johnston, C. Tharp. 2007. Small grain seed treatment guide. MSU Extension Publications MontGuide MT199608AG.
Abstracts and Brief Communications:
- Menalled, F., Z. Miller, M. Burrows and N. Orloff. 2010. Direct and interactive effects of plant stressors on winter wheat yields and crop-weed competition. Weed Science Society of America, Denver, CO. February 7-11. Poster.
- Burrows, M. and J. Stack. 2009. Great Plains Diagnostic Network Regional wheat virus survey: Collaboration, communication, research and extension outcomes. NPDN National Meeting, Miami, FL. December 6-10. Poster.
- Skoglund, L. and Burrows, M. 2009. Innovative ways to educate ourselves and our clientele: examples from Montana. NPDN National Meeting, Miami, FL. December 6-10. Poster.
- Ito, D., Moffet, M. D., and Burrows, M. E. 2009. Quantitative analysis of susceptibility to Wheat streak mosaic virus among alternate hosts and winter wheat varieties in the Great Plains. Phytopathology 99: S57-S57.
- Price, J., Blunt, T., Burrows, M., Franc, G., Ito, D., Kinzer, K., Olson, J., O'Mara, J., Rush, C., Stack, J., Tande, C., and Ziems, A. 2009. Great Plains wheat virus survey 2008. Phytopathology 99: S105-S105.
- Leisso, R.S., Burrows, M.E. 2007. Field evaluation of biological control and fungicide seed treatments for pre-emergence damping off of chickpeas. Pisum Genetics 39: 28-31.
- Burrows, M. and W. Lanier. 2007. Where the rubber meets the road: timely information delivery to farmers with and without the internet. Phytopathology. 97:S15.
- Zidack, N., W. Lanier and M. Burrows. 2007. Utilization of web-conferencing and web-based microscopy to deliver a regional mycotoxin workshop for the Great Plains Diagnostic Network. National Plant Diagnostic Network meeting, Orlando, FL 28-31 January, 2007.
- Burrows, M. 2011. Leveraging our resources: GPDN wheat virus survey outcomes and impacts. National Plant Diagnostic Network meeting, Berkeley, CA.
- Burrows, M. 2010. Great Plains wheat virus survey. NCEAR-184 Cereal Disease Workers meeting, Rapid City, SD.
- Burrows, M. 2009. Pulse diseases (or, Pathology for Peas, Please!). Montana Agribusiness Association meeting, Great Falls, MT.
- Burrows, M. 2008. Great Plains wheat virus survey: the impact of viruses in our cropping systems. NCEAR-184 Cereal Disease Workers meeting, Davis, CA.
- Burrows, M. 2008. Damping off of chickpea seed: efficacy of biological and fungicide seed treatments. Northern Pulse Growers Association, Minot, ND.
- Burrows, M. 2008. Cereal killers. Montana Agribusiness Association meeting, Great Falls, MT.
- Burrows, M. 2007. The genetic control of luteovirus transmission by the aphid Schizaphis graminum. USDA-ARS Northern Plains Agricultural Research Lab, Sidney, MT.
- Burrows, M. 2007. Managing diseases in irrigated wheat and barley and the IR-4 Project and its impact on Montana. Sugar beet symposium, Billings, MT.
- Burrows, M. 2007. The genetic control of luteovirus transmission by the aphid Schizaphis graminum. Citrus Research and Education Center, Lake Alfred, FL.
- Burrows, M. 2007. Stripe rust and other diseases. Montana Agribusiness Association meeting, Great Falls, MT.
- Burrows, M. 2006. The genetic control of luteovirus transmission by the aphid Schizaphis graminum. Montana State University Entomology Department Seminar, Bozeman, MT.